em-pow-er
to equip or supply with an ability; enable
To be empowered is maybe one of the best feelings to experience. The light feeling in your chest, deep breathing through your nose to take it all in, the sudden strength your abs can hold, the sparkle that reflects from bright wide eyes, and the feeling your blood is pumping so fast and hard as though you could take off running.
This past week I was empowered. I felt these feelings and felt unstoppable.
I was at the hospital this past week in clinicals, defined as a 'student' experiencing the fears of being in the way, questioning whether I'm doing anything right, and if my work is in anyway beneficial. It was then, someone came around the corner and said "Hey, you wanna start an IV?"
"Me?" Um..."I've done it on a dummy before, so I think I could"
But with a little reassurance and patience...I got it!!! Such a small moment but I felt amazing. As if the training wheels just came off, or my curfew got moved back a little.
It was later my professor looked at me and said..."You're ready to do this." And those feelings of tears were at the threshold of my eyelids and every nerve in my body agreed with her.
She was the same professor that was with me as a sophomore, when I had just put on my blue scrubs for maybe the first or second time, nervous to go talk to patients because I felt so small and couldn't figure out how to get the plastic covering over the thermometer. We laughed about that and she just stared at me and said "yeah, you're ready."
I'm not sure how many professors look at their students and say that. But mine did and she has no idea the feelings I left the hospital with that day.
And the funny thing about being empowered is that you just want to give the feeling away to others.
meg
No comments:
Post a Comment